Laura McGowan Fry, PhD
Laura, the founder of BrandView Communications, is an integrated marketing communications professional that currently resides in Beverly Hills, MI with her husband Stephen and cocker spaniel, Cooper. She has over twenty years of experience in marketing, customer insights, advertising, digital communications, and university teaching.
Laura's professional interests and expertise are diverse. Her experience includes:
- Digital Strategy
- Digital Research (quantitative/qualitative/ux)
- Customer Insights (primary/secondary)
- Shopper Marketing (including CAD research)
- Strategic Planning
- Product Planning (automotive)
- Professional Communications
- Training & Development
- Interpersonal and Public Communications
List of client engagements Here
Laura's research interests range from staying abreast of the latest digital trends to studying the current literary market for local authors. Her latest fascinations and efforts include:
- Mobile. She is intrigued by the rapid growth of mobile technology. She has been focusing much of her current research efforts on identifying the tools and practices that best resonate with users, make their lives easier, and provide viable opportunities for growing multinational brands.
- Education. Laura embraces research efforts that allow her to bridge her interest in customer insights and university life, in an effort to improve today's educational climate for faculty, students, and publishers, alike (See University Life below).
- The Arts. She believes strongly in supporting the arts. With a struggling economy and community cutbacks it is all the more essential that leaders do their part to protect and foster the vital role the arts contribute to supporting civic and political life in society today.
- Small Business. Small businesses are the cornerstone of our U.S. economy. Laura enjoys working with small business owners to help hone their digital footprint (e.g., social media strategy, site development, blogging, etc.).
She has expertise in: focus group moderation (on/offline), conducting in-depth interviews (corporate stakeholder, shopper, etc.), shopper intercept research, fielding/analyzing panel and online intercept surveys, conducting usability testing, and fielding ethnographic research.
Laura has conducted research on behalf of ASPCA Pro Division, Bank of America, Benjamin Moore of Canada, Chevron, Chrysler Group, CIBC, DaimlerChrysler, Domino's Pizza, eBay Motors, Ford Division, General Growth Properties, Hyundai of North America, Kimberly-Clark, Lincoln Motor Company, Microsoft/Nokia, Nissan North America, McDonald's of Canada, Prentice Hall Publishing, Sephora, Shell Oil Company, UAW, Ulta, and Walgreen's.
Laura holds a PhD from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. She has held tenure track and adjunct teaching positions at Central Michigan University, Lake Superior Sate University, Oakland University and Wayne State University.
Laura takes great pride in staying abreast of meeting the changing needs of today's students; as well as, being an active member of the campus community. Her recent research pursuits address the impact technology is having on the way students consume information (e.g., tablets, Smartphones, etc.) and best practices for meeting their needs in the classroom.
Laura is an active member of her community.
- She is one of the founding editors of Senior Help Forum a blog created to provide online support and resources for caregivers.
- Laura teaches digital enrichment courses at The Community House in Birmingham, Michigan
- She is a member of the board of Christ Child Society's Detroit Chapter. Her volunteer work with Christ Child Society directly benefits Christ Child House a 31 bed house in Detroit, Michigan that provides shelter and counseling for abused and neglected boys between 5 and 13 years of age. Laura recently designed and built the Society's newly refreshed website. Please visit here.